Thursday, August 15, 2013

Horrible day on July 29th

     I don't think that I have written since the dog trauma, as it has come to be known.. I don't know what else to call it.  Our lives have changed from all of this, how could they not?  I got a little discouraged but now I am able to write about what happened.  We had just been on a great beach vacation to Ocean City, NJ.. I was still settling back in to being home again.  On Monday, Friday the pitbull, began acting a little off.  We thought it might have been because we just got back home.  By Tuesday, he was very lethargic and really not himself.  Hubby was going to wait until the next day to day him to the vet, but I said I think you need to take him now.  Our wonderful vet was able to squeeze us in that day.  Hubby and I took him together since the kids were playing with their cousins.  After looking at his gums, the vet was able to determine that his red blood cells were dangerously low.  If we had waited another day, he probably wouldn't have made it.  I am glad for my mother's intuition, ha, it even works with dogs. 
     Friday had to be brought to an emergency overnight hospital that performs blood transfusions.  Hubby made the trek out to Wilson while I had D at his gymnastics class.  Friday spent the night at the hospital and he now has some grey hound blood in him.  Wednesday morning, he came home, ate and took his medicine.  He was able to stay with us instead of going to our regular vet because of this.  I was able to get him to take his many pills using peanut butter wrapped in ham.   Friday did so so the next couple of days.  Coral seemed to make up for his laziness by being extra happy and excited.  It was like she was gaining his energy. 
     Family came over on Sunday to watch The Food Network Star.  Friday was struggling this day, he was lethargic again and kept throwing up and did not want to take his pills not matter what food I tried to hide them in (and there are kind of a lot).  We honestly didn't think he was going to make it.  Monday was the next day and it was the first day of the free Science in the Summer half day camp at the public library.  K went in the mornings and D went in the afternoons.  We came home in between the two for lunch and ate very hurriedly because it wasn't a really good budgeted time for lunch. As we were rushing I kept calling for Coral to come downstairs to eat the bread crust.  She was in one of her moods and  didn't come downstairs. 
     I took D to camp and the rest of us came back home.  I was just setting in my chair eating my black bean avocado salad and I yelled to C to go check on Coral because she was being weird.  That was when he whispered to The hubby that he thought something was wrong.  Hubby went upstairs and found her.  I have never had a dog die at home before and it was very difficult.  We did not even know she was sick. 

No comments:

Post a Comment